Are you struggling with those last 5 – 10 pounds that you planned on losing before summer? If you are enjoying a glass of wine or two while sitting under the summer stars you are probably sabotaging all of your hard work in the gym! A secret to staying slim in the summer, or any time of year for that matter, is to swap the spirits for sparkling water with a slice of lemon or lime. Calories from alcohol add up and also inhibit your willpower to pass the snacks or that tempting dessert. The body can’t store alcohol, so it is metabolized right away. Since the body is busy metabolizing alcohol your body won’t metabolize fats and sugars as efficiently, therefore slowing down metabolism. I know sipping a cocktail after a long day at the office or driving the kids around helps you unwind but if you can’t seem to lose those last few pounds then skip the liquid calories for a month and see what happens!
What is considered a drink?
- 12 oz. Beer (5% alcohol content)
- 8 oz. Malt Liquor (7% alcohol content
- 5 oz. Wine (12% alcohol content)
- 1.5 oz. Spirits, 80 proof (40% alcohol content)
How many calories are in your drink?
- 1.5 oz. Whiskey, 80 proof = 97 calories
- 1.5 oz. Gin, 80 proof = 97 calories
- 1.5 oz. Tequila, 80 proof = 97 calories
- 1.5 oz. Vodka, 80 proof = 97 calories
- 5 oz. White Wine = 121 calories
- 5 oz. Red Wine = 125 calories
- 12 oz. Beer = 135-145 calories
- 5 oz. Martini = 135 calories
- 6 oz. Cosmopolitan = 165 calories
If you Google alcohol and weight loss you are sure to find articles that claim alcohol does not contribute to weight gain and actually helps weight loss. The truth is consuming more calories than you expend in a day will prevent you from losing weight.